Saturday, May 16, 2015

May 15, 2015 (Second Email)

Ok, I haven't been sending any emails, and for that, I apologize. If you don't already know, we have a very small window of time to email friends and family. However, I will try to be more diligent!


Since it is nigh impossible to describe all of the experiences I've had here thus far, I will just have to word barf all over you in a series of unorganized bullet points and try to sum up the last three weeks at the MTC.

The MTC has been absolutely..... nuts! I've had amazing spiritual experiences, I've had really really good days, I've had lots of crazy bad days. The best way I've found to describe the MTC is this:  You've been dropped onto a treadmill that's already running at full speed, and you have to catch up running in time to not trip and fall flat on your face.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

In light of that, I'm titling this email "Things I've learned".

I've learned that if you lock yourself out of your room your first week, you and your companion have to walk to the front desk two buildings away and get a key. Even if you're in your robe and pajamas.

I've learned that missionary work is hard. Who knew?

I've learned that Polynesians are really loud, but they are really fun people to be around!
I've learned that Polynesian people really DO eat a lot. A LOT. 

I've learned that you can leave messages for other missionaries in little boxes in the wall in your room. (true story. Thanks, mom.) 

I've learned that exact obedience to God's will brings bountiful blessings.

I've learned that Tongan is a weird language, and if you basically smack your tongue against your mouth and go "Falalalalala" you can basically say any word in the Tongan language.

I've learned that the MTC food is really heavy.

There really IS something wrong with the orange juice. Don't drink it.

The second day at the MTC, we had to teach a lesson to an "Investigator". (our teacher, in disguise.) But, we had to do it completely in Tongan! I consider myself a good student, but let's face it, even I can't learn a language in a day. We had to rely a lot on our notes to get us through the lesson. It made both me and my companion realize how little we actually knew!

 The MTC has taught me to make mistakes! Whenever we have a bad lesson or a bad day, we lovingly call these "Learning Experiences". A term looked upon with sarcasm and much sass. But really, the term is true! In every bad experience is a good lesson waiting to be applied. When we are asked to do something hard, we cannot be afraid to make mistakes! Because you won't get anywhere trying to live that way. My first week, all I wanted to do was everything right, and all it did was make me ten times more stressed, and it held me back from learning. I wouldn't speak in Tongan because I was afraid of saying something wrong. I wouldn't volunteer an answer in our doctrine classes because I feared being wrong.... And I did not learn that way! Now, I have learned to embrace mistakes as I make them, examine them, learn from them, and finally, let them go. 

I'm so sorry this email wasn't more organized! Perhaps next week will be a little bit better.
Please, send me your emails! I miss all of you and I want to know how you're doing!

Ofa atu!
(love you)

Sister Wunderlich

No comments:

Post a Comment