Sunday, May 10, 2015

April 24, 2014 (First Email From the Missionary Training Center)

Malo e Lelei!

That's like the only word I can remember from language class, and I knew that one before I came here! P-days are Fridays for my district, just FYI. Our Tongan class is super small, it's just me and my companion and two elders as well. That makes it nice, because then you get more one-on-one with the teacher. Our first day here, Brother tanner only spoke to us in Tongan. I keep reminding myself that I've only been here two days, so I shouldn't get frustrated with the language just yet. ;)
my companion's name is Sister Riss (or, Leesee in Tongan Pronunciation). Her and I together will be the second and third american sisters to serve in Tonga. The previous sister, sister Fox, left the morning we both got here.
overall, I'm doing well, here. I'm happy, the food is good, (you were right, it's heavy, too.) I'm not super stressed out, like I usually am about things like this. for example, today is my second full day here at the MTC, and Sister Riss and i are already scheduled to teach an investigator in Tongan this evening. A whole lesson in Tongan! I don't Even know how to say a whole memorized sentence yet, but we get to write it down and read it.
Every day (at least the two that I've been here) ends with exhaustion. But, it's the best kind of exhaustion. When I go to bed I know that my day has been Jam-packed with good things, and I am grateful just to finish it all! It's the satisfied feeling you get after a good day's work. :D I have to write a talk tonight, because just like dad said, they choose two missionaries at random to give talks in sacrament meeting. Even if I don't speak, I can have those talks and try to translate them into tongan so that I can whip them out on my mission whenever necessary!
So, knowing me, I mess up ALL the time. well, yesterday morning, sister Riss and I left our room to go brush our teeth in the bathroom. Out of what I thought was good habit, I closed the door behind me. sister Riss and I looked at each other and realized that neither of us have a key. We had to ask the Samoan sisters in our Branch to tell us where to go when we lock ourselves out of our room! Then we had to go to the front desk, (IN OUR ROBES AND PJS,) get a spare key, run back up to our residence buildings and get ready for class! We called it "The walk of shame" because we had to parade across campus in our PJ's. Sister Riss was super mad at me for closing the door. XD But, the Samoan sisters told us that the tongan sisters that were there before us ALSO locked themselves out on their second day! Looks like we've started a tradition. Somebody warn the next sisters!
There is a tiny unicorn hanging from the ceiling of our room. we don't know why, but we've decided to leave it there and name it Iniki.
Our room also smells like feet.
We also came up with a silly game called "Missionary Tag" Where you take off your tag, but leave the magnet behind it in your shirt, and your companion has to try to throw your nametag back on you! we haven't played it but we thought it was a funny Idea.
Our branch President's name is President Willes.  He is a very wise and spiritual man. everything that comes out of his mouth invites the spirit and gives knowledge! He has asked us all to do something very specific. Every morning and evening in my prayers, I am to plead with the Lord for the gift of tongues. I am also supposed to ask you to pray for me, and also plead with the Lord that I may receive the gift of tongues. He promised us that if we do this, the Tongan language will come easier to me in the next six weeks.
I love you, and I miss you! But, I am doing good things here. I am not working miracles yet, but let's hope I get to see some! :) Please, don't forget to write me! I will look forward to all of your letters, and I get to print them and keep them with me through my mission. (Boys, this means you, too. I'd better hear from you!) My P-day is every Friday while I'm here at the MTC, and Sister Riss and I will usually check our e-mails at around 11:00 AM.
See you next Friday! I love you!
Sister Wunderlich
(Sistah Undahleesee)
Also.
Fakalelei = Atonement
Fakalele = Diarrhea
If you accent the wrong LE in LELE you're basically saying we can be saved through the diarrhea of Christ. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment