Monday, September 21, 2015

September 6, 2015

It's beginning to get unbelievably hot. You just walk around and you're just sticky all day! At night we don't sleep with blankets on, anymore. Too hot! Suddenly we're thankful for cold showers. 

Here's something new you've never heard before.... 

I've been poked in the eye by a devil.

Haha, not really, but there is a thing around here the tongans call "puke tevolo" (not pronounced how it looks) which is when unkind spirits that have passed on Haunt the living by slapping them, hitting them, and posessing their bodies. This is a very real belief in Tonga. When somebody is supposed to be "puke tevolo" Everybody has to hold you down and put special leaves on your face until the devil leaves you. Most every tongan I've met believes in "puke tevolo" and ironically the only ones who don't are doctors. Just one more awesome quirk I love about the tongan people!

Anyways, one of my eyes has become really red and irritated, probably because of the sun and the large amounts of wind we walk in everyday, plus dirt, dust, etc. But the members I visit tell me that an unkind spirit came up to me and poked me in the eye! In Tongan this is called "mata kovi" Which basically means "Unattractive face." Yikes. I have some eye drops from the mission nurse and if it doesn't go away soon we'll go to the doctor!

Slowly, I think the language is finally coming. My biggest challenge is understanding people when they speak, But I know that will get better, too! I still speak in very simple, VERY simple sentences, but we're told that we must preach the gospel in a simple way, so that even a child can understand it. 

This week is PACKED with meetings. We have mission leadership council (6hrs) Mission conference (6hrs) and a district meeting with the APs and the Mission President! (2hrs) We will barely get to spend any time in our own area, but this week will be filled with a lot of learning. I hope that we learn a lot, so we can improve a lot!

I love you all so much, and I love hearing from you all every week! Please, help the missionaries!
In your ward, in your stake, wherever, but make sure you help them out! Feed, them, and ESPECIALLY find people for them to teach! They cannot do this without you. They need your help!

Ofa atu,

Sister Wunderlich.






 Eating at a members house.  So. Much. Food.

 A coconut bowl full of heu heu.


No comments:

Post a Comment