Monday, September 21, 2015

August 9 2015

Dad. I'm ashamed to tell you I screamed out loud when you told me about comicon. Actually, I didn't read ahead, and I truly pondered on the 3 big Chris possibilities, (out loud) and then told my companion Captain America was coming to comicon and she just turned her head at me, and then turned back. 

Even in Tonga, I'm still a dork.

Which brings me to my next point, Mom, I absolutely love the pillowcase you made me! I love the fabric and I know none of the sisters will want to take it from me, because the nerd part of me is totally unique here! Also, It smells really reeeeaaalllly clean. The kind of clean I haven't smelled in two and 1/2 months. I contemplated not even using it so it would stay smelling so good, but then I put it on my pillow and was happy through the night.

Dad, actually the Tongan singing here is worse than it was in Utah! Or maybe I'm just biased. They don't sing with a piano, they just have a chorister that stands up and starts. All of the Tongans harmonize, but some of them really aren't so good! And I don't know why, but all of the hymns they sing, they sing suuuuuuper slllloooooowww. It's literally a death march. I'm sure I'll miss it when I leave, but even up beat songs like called to serve are like "cccccaaaaaalllleeed. Tooooooooo Seeeeeeerrrvve hiiiiiiiiiim" (in tongan, of course.) But, singing is singing! You can kind of just sing whatever in whatever hymn you want, because there's so many different parts you can't tell the difference! 

New foods I've eaten: Just today I had Lesi mo Niu. (papaya with coconut on it.) it's pretty good! A couple weeks ago I had something called Tapanima, which I have never seen before, and I don't know what the fruit is called in English. It's got five points like a star, but it's at the ends like a football. If I have it again I'll take a photo. We actually ate it unripe, but it was super good! I could eat that all day. I've also had something called ota ika, which is ligit just chopped onions, peppers, and straight raw fish. And you know what? It was ok. The tastiest thing I've had here I just got to eat yesterday. It's called Topai. It is SO GOOD. It's really just flour, sugar, and coconut, but man oh man is it tasty.People don't like to make it for us, because it's considered "poor people food" by everyone. Look it up on google, and make it. I know it's on there somewhere.

The best food I've had here is poor people food. The simplest cooked dishes tend to be the tastiest. Of course, there's actually a lot of times the food is not good at all, but you just hold your breath and eat it anyways. And, ketchup helps. I eat everything with ketchup. I feel like a maniac, but seriously, if you don't like the taste of something, drown it in ketchup.

I hope I will get used to the bug bights soon. They tell me that after a few months in Tonga, the mosquito bights stop itching. I use bug spray (on my face and neck, I'm trying to conserve) but my feet and legs are always covered with pink bumps. but when I put aloe on them they stop itching. I didn't even know you could do that but I read the bottle and it says it's for bug bights, too. 

Two more weeks and my training will be over! (uh oh, I feel like my Tongan isn't any better?) And then we'll see how much longer I stay in Navutoka. This is my Trainer's second area. She was in her first area for nine months! 

Anyways, It's time to go. I love you all so much and I wish I could hug you! *virtual email hug* I'll send some photos of my goings-about. Love you!

Sister Wunderlich

No comments:

Post a Comment